Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Back to Reality

Who would have thought I’d be able to stretch out a weekend trip that occurred a month ago this long? I’ve finally run out of things to say about it (hey, it was bound to happen), although it will always remain one of my fondest memories of our time here.

I will officially end the Nikko series with an illustration of a fundamental truth here in Japan: Things are not always what they seem.

Star & Ash finally reach the border of their hometown. After 7.5 hours of following deceptively easy-to-follow road signs, they are feeling slightly claustrophobic and hungry.

Star: We should get something for dinner.

Ash: I just want something simple… like a sandwich.

Star: Okay. There’s a grocery store on our way home. I might grab something ready made though.


Later, in front of Kasumi's glistening, modern-looking self-serve yakitori* counter...

Star: Mmmm, they all look tasty.

Ash: Do you remember me telling you about my experience at the yakitori restaurant my boss took me to one night?

Star: Yes…

(Ash points at some innocent looking skewers.)

Ash: That looks like liver.

Star: Er… how about that one?

(Star points at another innocent looking pile.)

Ash: That looks like heart.

(Star points at yet another innocent looking pile.)

Ash: I’m not quite sure, but I don’t think you want that either.

Star: So… out of six choices, these three over here seem safe.

Ash: Pretty much.

Star: At least they can’t disguise chicken feet…


At home, Ash munches on his “what you see is what you get” sandwich. Meanwhile, Star prepares to finish her yakitori dinner.

Star: I think I like the chicken meat better than the beef. Those vegetables were definitely Not bamboo though…

Ash: No?

Star: They were kind of sour. I think they may have been onion.

(Ash nods. Star shrugs and takes a big bite of her last chicken yakitori skewer.)

Star: Mmmpth!

Ash: What??

(Star promptly spits the offending chicken onto her plate and stares at it.)

(Silence.)

Ash: What’s wrong?

Star: ................. chicken skin.


That’s right, you heard me. Not chicken with skin. Not even crispy delicious skin. I’m talking slimy, fatty, limp, peeled off the meat, accordion strung, soy-sauce glazed deception on a skewer.

Yuck.


*Yakitori is a well-known Japanese dish consisting of chicken morsels grilled over live coals and glazed with a sweet soy-based sauce. The name literally means “grilled chicken**”, although beef and veggies are known variations.

**I guess when they say chicken, they truly mean chicken… heart, liver, skin and all. Now I try to make sure I’m requesting chicken “meat”, for my own peace of mind. Ah, the joys of having preconceived notions bite you in the rear when least expected.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Guess the choices are many but the end results don't sound so good. Hope they are not hidden when we get there.